Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Cattle grates

It's the one thing about Montana that's been sticking in my mind. Almost every on- and off-ramp going through Montana has a really annoying (especially if you're going 60mph, having not slowed down completely) metal grate across the road, with fences on each side. I assume it's to keep cattle from wandering onto the highway and making friends with 80mph traffic - they can't cross it, because their hooves are narrower than the grates and they wouldn't be able to walk on it.

The only places I haven't seen these are in the major cities - Helena, Bozeman, and Missoula. Everywhere else has them, and it's only now that we're almost all the way back across the state that I remember to watch out for them and not already be accelerating to 60mph by the time I reach them. :

No comments: