Sunday, June 8, 2008

Night shift

Looks like I'm the official night blogger! Drive by day, post by night. Monk's posts are all during the day, at least while there are wireless access points available.

Our B&B rocks - they have a big clawfoot tub, which helps the driving-all-day neck cricks and helps put me to sleep.

I have one thing to say about Montana: they need better signs. All of the historic/scenic/whatever points just have a generic sign, and there are so many that you just stop thinking "Hey, I should stop and check it out!" after about ... the second one. And then you drive past the stinkin' Contental Divide. Oops!

We went out to the car this evening around dusk and there was a huge deer wandering around the neighborhood! Very strange for what seems to be a historic neighborhood in the capitol of Montana, but I don't know the place very well, so this might be a common thing.

We left Seattle this morning with about a half tank of gas, since I knew it would be a lot cheaper once we got out of the city. Redmond is about $4.55/gal for the 92-octane expensive stuff (my gas tank says I have to!), but even once we'd driven about 150 miles to George, WA it was still $4.50 or so. We filled up again near Clinton, Montana, where 91-octane (highest available) was less than $4.00/gal. According to the gas buddy website, that will probably be about the norm for the middle of the country, and then it will probably go back up to Seattle prices on the East Coast.

As for fuel efficiency, my car is getting about 30 mpg on average, but it is tempting to cruise a long at about 80mph when the speed limit is 75. And then my car's computer shows the average going down to about 25. If I stay closer to 60, it goes up to 30 mpg. On the one hand, it's nicer to get more for your money, but on the other hand it's also nice to get where you're going faster!

I need to get to sleep so we can wake up at 6:30, have some breakfast, and hopefully head out for Rapid City, SD around 8am! That's near Mount Rushmore.

I will report back on breakfast, don't you worry! Our room has a little blurb from Bon Appetit magazine about the tasty food.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just a belated comment from Ma about the testicles: often referred to as " prairie oysters".
Interested to hear more about the B&B ! This is the funnest thing since sliced bread!

melinda said...

Yay for you guys! I admit that Montana was one of my favorite parts of driving across the country last time, so enjoy it!

Louis Martinez said...

Wait a minute... There is a city here in WA called George? George Washington? LOL!