Monday, June 9, 2008

"Short" day

Drove from Helena, MT to Rapid City, SD today. We left around 9AM (keeping with the hour late trend) and arrived at Coyote Blues B&B at 6. We're also staying here on the way back (but in a different room). They apparently have 2 cats, who I should go upstairs and meet. But first we're sitting in our room, being antisocial for a while. (What!? We're from Seattle...)

Breakfast this morning was delicious, if cheeeeeesy - a cheese and veggie omelet with fruit and a warm slice of rhubarb bread. Mmm. With OJ and coffee, plus a mug of coffee to go for me.

My car's engine took a few seconds to start - I don't know if it's this dumb 91-octane gas (Seattle 'super' is 92) or the crappy Montana gas (no Chevron, no Shell, not even a Mobil or Exxon, my last-resort gas choices. Yes, I'm a savvy consumer...) sold at the stations with the dinosaur logo. Though I do like the fact that they're selling something made from dinosaurs! HAH.

We're having the last of our sandwiches for dinner tonight, which leaves us with a cooler full of salads, veggies, hummus, and protein bars. And boiled eggs. Lots of snacking will be in order, apparently. The stuff in the cooler is still pretty darn cold, so that's good. Did I mention how much I love the chicken and bacon sandwiches? It's just chicken, bacon, and chopped tomato and lettuce in a whole grain wrap (not those 250-calorie monsters, either; think flatbread) so it's got lots of protein and won't make me fall asleep at the wheel from eating too many refined carbs.

The southeast corner of Montana is chock full of deer - we were passing through around 5:00 and there were huge herds of them on either side of the highway, hanging out in the cow/horse pastures and eating. It's funny seeing huge crowds of them, but they're all standing as still as possible because there's a busy highway next to them. "Maybe if I stand real still here next to the 4-lane highway in broad daylight, no one will see me!" Even though they're all small and white, not HUGE and brown or black like all the cows. EXCEPT we saw this awesome all-white steer. Cool!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How funny - Jim and I stayed at Coyote Blues when we were in Rapid City 5 years ago. We stayed in the Turkish Room and had a truly (and unexpectedly) lovely stay in South Dakota. If you haven't already seen it, Devil's Tower is well worth a visit on your way west, and is only 15ish miles off I-90 at Sundance, WY.

Have a safe drive home!